Friday, October 3, 2008

Words I've Liked This Week

Colluding: I just learned this word today. It means, "to act together in a secret understanding." I am obsessed with the whole Casey Anthony case and have been watching updates via Nancy Grace on YouTube every day, and today her guest psychoanalyst Bethany Marshall (who is my favorite of all her psychoanalysts) used this word several times. I LOVE to learn new words.

Elaborate:
Bethany Marshall also used this word today, and I realized that I think it is a fantastic word. (I think I like Bethany Marshall partly because she uses fantastic words.)

Redundant:
My friend Claire used this in a blog she wrote ages ago, and when I read it, I realized that I just like the sound of it. Now whenever I think about pleasant-sounding words, I want to say it, which is probably ironic because its meaning is not necessarily pleasant.

Fabulous:
It struck me this week that when I use the word fabulous, I automatically feel more confident.

Incidentally:
I love this word. It is so appropriate to use in conversations whenever you have an aside. And incidentally, I'm pretty sure I over-use it.

Nimrod:
One of my fellow etsy artisans used it today, and it made me laugh. My brother used to use this word all the time, so it is froth with memories. (Incidentally, her shop is www.madhatterspottery.etsy.com, and she makes beautiful pottery with candles.) :-)

What words do you like this week?

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oooh, I love all of these words.

On a completely opposite spin, thanks to the American elections, I DO NOT want to hear "fundamentals" EVER again! :P

Kelley said...

Good words. I began using the word fabulous this year and have enjoyed being more descriptive in my complements instead of just using the word "cool" for EVERYTHING.

You've helped expand my incredibly pathetic vocabulary...kudos to you!

Literature Crazy said...

Dubious is my word o' the week. It came up in a book group I'm in at church when I said I was dubious about Charles Stanley... I can't stop saying it now.